Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Some NY figure paintings and portraits!

"Jen in a Sea of Red"
Jen has posed for me a handful of times. This is one that I am allowed to show. She posed for me during an anniversary get away weekend. I remember it being a very pleasant stay at a bed and breakfast. I painted this very quickly since the sun was setting outside and I was losing all light. I do feel that the simple indications of the painting is successful.



This is a color study for a painting of my niece Sadie. It is quite small; about the size of my hand. I enjoy some of the looseness of the piece. I had this study finished for at least a year and half now, but only recently finished the full size painting. I have never been a fan from working from photos, so this is quite a departure for me. I will post the final larger scale piece very soon.



A NY piece that I did after work at Blue Sky. I was fortunate enough to get to pick the model, set up the lights, and help with choosing the pose. Stephanie Landers is an excellent model. She raises the bar, and forces me to strive to capture her pose and essence. I do like the end result, but it would have been nice to have had more time to actually give her a face!




There's something to be said for just piling paint on a canvas. I did this piece in NY before my classes here at the Academy and was just having fun. You know what? I like it. It has a freedom that my newer figures don't have.

No comments:

Post a Comment